List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    IMAP (and other) issues (was: Re: Blue scary screen)
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-19 20:19:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 December 2005 02:46, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Friday 16 December 2005 19:18, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Friday 16 December 2005 02:38, Don Sanders wrote:
> > > Switching to another folder and back seems to be away to work
> > > around the problem.
> >
> > Only if that switch takes more than a second, because otherwise the
> > splash will not be shown and thus not hidden either.
> >
> > The "sure" way to solve it is to go to "Local Folders", which
> > displays KMail's splash. When moving away from there the problem is
> > by definition gone.
> >
> > But instead of workarounds I'd much rather not see the problem in
> > the first place :/
>
> Sure.
>
> Actually I experience several other online IMAP issues in addition to
> this. Moving a large number of messages (10,000 say) from IMAP to
> local slows KMail down and eventually freezes it.

Sounds like either a memory problem or an O(n^k), k>1, problem.

> Sometimes when new
> mail is collected while an IMAP folder is shown all the fields in the
> list of message headers go blank, except the threading hierarchy
> remains.

I just saw the same problem (I don't remember seeing it before), but I
was fetching mail from the local mail spool into a local folder. So
this seems to be a general problem which probably just occurs more
often with IMAP(?).

Regards,
Ingo