List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Merge KNode into KMail
From:       Volker Krause <volker.krause () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2005-08-30 15:15:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

following up on the discussion we had yesterday evening, I went through the
KNode code in order to create a list of features that are missing in KMail to
provide us with some data for further discussions.
So, here is what I've collected so far (in no particular order):

- ROT13 support (reader & composer)
- configurable headers in reader window
- show number of unread/new articles in a thread in the header view
- scoring actions: adjust score, color header view entry
- using KDockWidget for the main view
- async wallet support
- composer supports newsgroups (obviously)
- filters just hide articles (based on the scoring)
- global/account-wide expire settings (including a preserve-threads option)
- special group name squeezing in the folder tree
- dnd for folders
- special newsgroup stuff in the composer: cross-post warning, followup-to
handling, etc.
- mark cross-posts as read
- article listing is permanently saved and not refetched every time (in
contrast to online IMAP)
- subscription dialog has special handling of group names to show group list
in a tree view
- three diffrent "access rights" for groups: posting allowed, moderated,
read-only
- group statistics
- status bar entries for current group and filter status
- handling of news:// urls (see knewsservice.protocol file)
- fetch article by message id dialog
- configurable memory amount for temporary article/group caches
- config migration, migration of local folders (mbox)

Some of these items can probably be dropped, others are also desireable for
KMail.
The filter/scoring stuff however is critical, the news integration will be
useless without it.

regards
Volker