List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Full Text Indexing for kmail
From:       "Carsten Burghardt" <burghardt () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-29 7:56:44

> On Monday 28 March 2005 11:46, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>> It's debatable whether the search bar should do a full text search. The
>> point for the search bar is mostly used to quickly find messages. I
>> mostly use it for finding messages which were sent by a certain person
>> or which have a certain subject. The latter is actually problematic
>> because one might not know which subject someone chose for his message
>> but one might know a few words which occurred in his message. So in
>> this case a full text search is better than just a search of the
>> subject. In the other case (searching for messages sent by a certain
>> person) a full text search will result in undesired matches, but I
>> guess in pratice the number of false positives won't be too large.
>>
>> In any case, the quick search should be quick. So doing a full text
>> search is only okay if it takes less than 1 second on a large folder.
>
> The searching is fast enough. I did a rough measurement and most of the
> time
> was spent updating the GUI and not on the search itself.
>
> I have found it useful to have fast full-text search available, though I
> do
> agree that a fuller search is also needed since, as Daniel points out, one
> might not know what folder the message is in.
>
> Thanks for your answers to my questions. I will now focus on making the
> search
> dialog work.

Please note that imap folders are treated in a special way. They decide
whether the search can be done with the imap search command and otherwise
ask the user if the messages should be downloaded as you don't have the
complete email locally. They probably need to be excluded from the
fulltext search as the server decides what to do.

Carsten