List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Full Text Indexing for kmail
From:       Luís_Pedro_Coelho <luis () luispedro ! org>
Date:       2005-03-28 13:15:04

On Monday 28 March 2005 11:46, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> It's debatable whether the search bar should do a full text search. The
> point for the search bar is mostly used to quickly find messages. I
> mostly use it for finding messages which were sent by a certain person
> or which have a certain subject. The latter is actually problematic
> because one might not know which subject someone chose for his message
> but one might know a few words which occurred in his message. So in
> this case a full text search is better than just a search of the
> subject. In the other case (searching for messages sent by a certain
> person) a full text search will result in undesired matches, but I
> guess in pratice the number of false positives won't be too large.
>
> In any case, the quick search should be quick. So doing a full text
> search is only okay if it takes less than 1 second on a large folder.

The searching is fast enough. I did a rough measurement and most of the time
was spent updating the GUI and not on the search itself.

I have found it useful to have fast full-text search available, though I do
agree that a fuller search is also needed since, as Daniel points out, one
might not know what folder the message is in.

Thanks for your answers to my questions. I will now focus on making the search
dialog work.

bye,
--
luispedro