List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Full Text Indexing for kmail
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-25 7:21:20

On Thursday 24 February 2005 09:22, Luís Pedro Coelho wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 22:52, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > - Full text indexing is definitely something we should have.
>
> Yes, it is really cool (i am using it for two weeks :)
>
> > - There's already code for this in KMail (I think since
> > make-it-cool),

(This is Sams indexer, it's also in head but disabled)

> > but it's disabled. Don can probably say more about
> > this.

Yeah, I felt it used up too much ram. How much ram (e.g. for fifty 100
megabyte folders each containing 25,000 messages) would this new
indexer take in ram and disk space?

This new indexer can incrementally index documents?

> I didn't know this.
>
> Maybe the code could be adapted for my backend.
>
> > - I will most likely not have the time to have a closer look at
> > it in the next few weeks or even months.
>
> This is all KDE 4.0, anyway.
>
> > - How does this integrate with the desktop wide search some
> > people are said to be working on?
>
> It is a completely different approach compared to what Manuel
> Amador seems to be doing. He seems to be using a database as a
> backend,  I have done a backend. This backend could be used for
> anything.
>
> The kmail integration part is the worse of what I have done,
> actually.

Maybe look at kmfolderindex.*. Sam's indexer integrated nicely with
search folders which I liked.

Don.