List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: ThreadList View
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2004-04-29 0:31:34

On Saturday 24 April 2004 8:59 am, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 24 April 2004 11:10, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> > > Well, the attached mockup very clearly shows that a lot of screen
> > > space would be wasted. So at least IMO this is not an option.
> >
> > You seem to have a strange definition of "wasted". I only had to
> > remove some empty space in the reader window for being able to place
> > the thread view there. Messages are usually not as wide as the
> > window, so there is plenty of unused space there. That's what I would
> > call "wasting screen space".
>
> Hmm, indeed. Good point. Interestingly the screenshot of the IBM
> prototype (http://www.research.ibm.com/remail/index.html) also has lots
> of wasted screen space in the preview pane.
>
> So if Benjamin can write a vertical thread arcs widget then we could
> give it a try. Are you subscribed to kmail-devel, Benjamin?
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

I am not subscribed to kmail-devel, so please cc me :)  I have
hacked^h^h^h^h^h^h enhanced the threadlist widget to support vertical or
horizontal threads.  Not sure if it should be a widget property or if it
should auto select based upon the current size (width vs height). Currently
it is just a hard coded variable in the private class.  If it was variable
then users could put the widget whereever they wanted.

I attached the newer code the first time I sent this and so I think it was
rejected from the list.  I have put it up on my website and you can grab it
so this should make it through.  To make the widget vertical simply change
the direction variable from 0 to 1 in threadlist.cpp.

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~benjamin/programs/program.php?program=Archive/ThreadList

Enjoy.

- -Benjamin Meyer

- --