List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: KMail annoyance
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-13 10:57:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 13 December 2003 16:38, Alexey Arzamasov wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2003 08:34, Till Adam wrote:
> > In short, I think the feature is fine and not annoying, provided
> > the word "patch" is removed from the default word list. Developers
> > can easily add it again.
>
> They may say that the word "patch" was the main cause of having this
> functionality :)

Well, Till is a developer. ;-)

> Actually, user can switch it off without searching through the config
> dialogs - when it triggers you can disable it at the place by
> checking the "do-not-annoy-me" checkbox.

The dialog had such a checkbox for a very short time. But it was removed
again because it doesn't work correctly since the dialog remembers your
last decision. (All dialogs with a "do-not-annoy-me" checkbox do this.)
So if you checked the checkbox _and_ selected Add Attachment (or
whatever the button is called) then the next time the dialog would have
to be shown automatically "Add Attachment" would be assumed as the
user's answer and therefore the user would be trapped in an endless
loop (until he either adds an attachment or removes any occurrence of
the "attachment" keywords from his message).

I understand that having such a checkbox is probably the only acceptable
solution in case the feature is enabled by default. But adding such a
checkbox will require using a custom dialog instead of the standard KDE
message box. The checkbox would have the text "Disable this 'Missing
Attachment?' warning" (or similar). That's a new string and therefore
this isn't possible for KDE 3.2.

I understand Casey's concerns (although it doesn't seem that he's found
any supporters on kde-usability yet) and therefore I propose to turn
off the attachment warning by default for KDE 3.2 until we've added the
above checkbox. We'll then turn it on again in the next release when it
can easily be disabled by users that don't want it.

Regards,
Ingo