List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Reply behavior in KMail
From:       Till Adam <till () adam-lilienthal ! de>
Date:       2003-12-01 10:53:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 01 December 2003 11:38, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2003 13:53, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Dear fellow core developers: Please take the time to read the thread
> > "Ideas on Reply-To-List" on kmail@kde.org and then make your
> > decision:
> >
> > [ ] Revert to the KDE 3.1 behavior where Reply always used the value
> > of the Reply-to header
> > [ ] Keep the current behavior where Reply works as Reply to Sender
> > [ ] Abstention
>
> <snip>
>
> Since it looks like we're still 2 months from KDE 3.2, and this change
> of behaviour is very controversial, I'd choose:
>
> [x] Violate the string freeze and implement the Reply tool button as a
> drop-down with the following contents:
>
> Reply (R or SHIFt-R) <- intelligent: to-list if list (always, not only
>                           on reply-to-mangling), to author else
> + Reply to All (A)
> + Reply to Mailing-List (L)

Ecellent. I'm very glad you propose this, I was thinking the same thing. I've
talked to a couple of people (users) about what they would expect, and what
you describe is exaclty it. r should apparently reply to the list, if there
is one (reply-to set or not) and to the author if there is no list.
Everything else seems confusing.

That said, I do find the current scheme clearer and was very tempted to opt to
keep it, but I've been convinced (in no small part by my wife) that I like it
because it is cleaner _implementation_ wise, not usage wise.

> This is adding a single string "Reply To Author". I guess translators
> will be able to cope with that...
>
> I don't have an opinion on which of the two actions "reply" and "reply
> to author" gets the R shortcut and which one gets SHIFT-R, though.

reply should be r. That removes the problem with upgrading users encountering
changed behavior, mostly.

Till