List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: custom header view
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-09-05 23:28:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag, 2. September 2003 22:03 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 29 August 2003 05:28, Klas Kalass wrote:
> > I made a patch to make the visible header fields in the reader
> > configurable. The patch is attached and screenshots can be found at
> > http://www.kalass.de/kmail/index.html
>
> i just compiled it and have tried it out... i haven't looked at the code in
> detail yet (just skimmed through it), so i won't comment on that (yet =)
>
> first, this is great ... i think it makes a lot of sense as a mechanism ...
> personally, i'd propose that this feature (which is on the feature list,
> btw) is polished up and the other header styles removed from the code as
> they are then unecessary ... this would get rid of the View -> Headers
> submenu as an extra bonus... i think there's a comment in your patch to a
> similar affect =)
thanks :-)

> some comments on the interface:
>
> "More..." should perhaps be "More headers..." and aligned with the header
> data rather than the header titles, e.g.:
>
> Date: 2003 05:28:31
>        More headers...
What is the general opinion on this? I will change it when there is a
consensus.

> the checkbox icon for adding a header isn't very intuitive, as you noted.
> using some simple text such as "Always show: " might help... or perhaps
> have that as a header and use checkboxes to mark which ones to always show
> (don't know how easy / possible it is to use form elements in the
> readerwin, though)...
>
> "go back" is a bit misleading, since one isn't really "going back" =) if
> one uses "More headers..." then perhaps "go back" could become "Fewer
> headers..." or "Less headers..." or "Collapse headers..."
Well, blame Ralf Nolden for that - Originally I had simply "less" and he
complained about it, so I changed it to "go back" to make him happy.
Personally I don't care, as long as I get reasonably backed arguments I will
change it to anything ;-)

> also, it seems just by looking at it in usage that it redisplays the whole
> email whenever a header edit link is clicked (via a call to updateReaderwin
> ()) ... perhaps it would be better to provide a named div in the headers
> area and simply edit that section of the HTML directly, allowing KHTML to
> just rerender that section rather than the whole readerwindow. this would
> decrease flicker, increase responsiveness and make a huge difference if you
> have a large attachment being viewed inline or some other part of the mail
> display process requires a lot of processing...
I am not sure if that is possible - I think I would need to alter the dom tree
which is displayed by khtml for that, don't I? I don't have the code here at
the moment so I don't know if I could access it without doing hacks.

At N7H I got positive feedback from Don, Ingo, Till and Zack, but I would
especially like to hear comments from Marc because my code is based on his
work - so what do you think, Marc?

PS: please CC me - I don't always have the time to go through the ML