List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: On Usability and ESR.
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-04 23:10:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 04 August 2003 14:55, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Consider:
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch06s01.html#id2910302
>
> Since when does KMail echo SMTP progress messages to the status bar
> (other than "Sending message x of y: <subject>")? Is ESR perhaps
> referring to the separate "sending messages" window?

I have no idea what he's talking about. The separate "sending messages"
window doesn't fit with his talking about unobtrusiveness. Maybe he ran
KMail from a terminal and watched the debug messages of kio_smtp.

> Beside that, this and the recent KDE usability study show that KMail
> obviously performs very well here already, so to all the usability
> people:
>
> 1. Thanks!
> 2. Don't overdo it ;-)
>
> I find it most interesting that non-integrated applications
> consistently performed better in the productivity area. So esp. the
> Kontact people should read the results at
> http://www.linux-usability.de/download/linux_usability_report.pdf
> (in German)

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with non-integrated/
integrated applications. The problem with the integration in Outlook is
that it's done in a bad way, e. g. they criticize that the calendar in
Outlook always switches to today if one selects it and that it's
therefore difficult to check an appointment that one received by email
(often users had to recheck the mail for the exact time of the
appointment). I'm pretty sure that Kontact won't behave in such a
stupid way. It will simply show the KOrganizer part the same way the
user left it when he selected another Kontact part. Right?

I'm also glad that the problem that it wasn't obvious that the email
address in KAddressBook is actually a link has been fixed in the
meantime. (In the current KAB the email addresses of a contact are
shown in the link color.)

Regards,
Ingo