List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: CIA proposal (was: ClientInterface)
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-24 23:04:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 24 July 2003 16:15, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2003 06:58, Don Sanders wrote:
> > 3) If this approach works then it does address the criticism of
> > having multiple clients modify index files but there's still the
> > memory costs associated with this approach. Each client will need
> > there own kmmsgdict, IIRC each entry in the kmmsgdict maps a
> > sernum -> (folder , index ) which is an int -> (int, int) mapping
> > or 12 bytes. I have >500K messages currently, so that's >6MB per
> > client instance.
>
> You typically won't run that many KMail instances that these few MB
> make any difference. Once a lib is split off of KMail for other apps
> to use, I don't think most other apps will have a great need for the
> dictionary.

I agree. Typically no user will have more than two KMail instances
running at the same time. The first instance will be the one that runs
on his workstation and the second instance will just be fired up to
check some messages while being away from the workstation. This second
instance will not be left running.

> > Besides folder files there are also other files than need to be
> > handled. The config file is a problem if it is desirable to have
> > each client keep their config dialogs and general configuration
> > info in sync.
>
> I'm cool with having that break. If a user is dumb enough to keep the
> config dialogs of two KMail's open at the same time, then he
> shouldn't complain if the second-to-be-closed one overwrites the
> settings of the first-to-be-closed one. I don't see a need to make
> that work.

I agree. I don't think that any KDE program (or any other application)
takes care of this.

Regards,
Ingo