List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: New KMail issues
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-05-29 22:40:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

First of all: This mailing-list is no support forum, it's a development
forum. If you have questions about the usage of KMail then please send
your questions to one of the KDE user lists (kde@kde.org or, if you
think your question is Linux specific, kde-linux@kde.org). If you want
to report a bug then do this via bugs.kde.org as everyone else. Thanks
in advance for following my suggestions the next time.

On Thursday 29 May 2003 04:44, William Denniss wrote:
> I have been using KMail since Red Hat 7, and I have had no problems
> until I upgraded to KMail 1.4.3 (Using KDE 3.0.3-8.3 Red Hat).  I
> don't know why, but the charcaters "=20" are appended to almost every
> line in the emails I sent.

That's due to the so-called quoted-printable encoding (=20 stands for a
space). No decent email client will have problems with this.

> These don't show up in KMail, nor Outlook for people I email but they
> do have a few problems:  Some mailling list programs don't remove the
> characters and my emails get resent with those characters visible.

Those mailing list programs are broken. The list administrators might
want to update to a newer version of the mailing list programs. If no
newer version exists then they should report this bug to the developers
of the mailing list programs. Every mailing list program should know
how to deal with quoted-printable.

> Likewise for the archives of many mailing lists.

Well, the programs those archives use are obviously also too dumb if
they can't correctly handle quoted-printable encoding.

> And people who I
> know that use Outlook when they click reply to my email, they can't
> insert the >'s that they usually could (ie. before I upgraded my
> kmail version).

I don't understand what the problem is. Why can't they insert the >'s?

> Does anyone know of a simple fix for this problem?  Should I just try
> and downgrade KMail? (I'd prefer not to have to do that).

If quoted-printable encoding is a problem for you then change the
Message property setting (in the configuration dialog in
Network->Sending) to "Allow 8-bit".

Regards,
Ingo