List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: New patch
From:       Laurent Montel <lmontel () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2003-04-28 13:00:00

Le Friday 25 April 2003 23:36, Ingo Klöcker a écrit :
> On Thursday 24 April 2003 18:24, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Patch from knode :
> > So this patch allows to add quote when we press return, when
> > paragraph is quoted.
> >
> > It's very usefull.
>
> I don't think that this patch is useful. How often do you want to added
> some quoted text (usually you don't change quoted text)?

We don't change quoted text, but when we want to separate text in quoted text,
you are allowing to press enter in quoted text.

> And how often
> do you want to add a comment to a part of a quoted paragraph? I
> regularly do the latter and I don't think I ever did the former.
>
> Example:
> Let's assume the following quoted text is given:
> =====
>
> > I like KMail, but I miss this and that feature.
>
> =====
>
> Now let's assume that I want to reply in the following way:
> =====
>
> > I like KMail,
>
> Thanks!
>
> > but I miss this and that feature.
>
> Then submit a wish via bugs.kde.org.
> =====
>
> With your patch it's very difficult to split the quoted paragraph. If
> you try this by pressing Return four times after "KMail," you will end
> up with
> =====
>
> > I like KMail,
> >

> >     but I miss this and that feature.

It's false try with knode, when we press twice enter it remove previous empty
quoted paragraph.

> =====
> Now you have to delete the four additional spaces before the "but" and
> you will have to remove the three ">" from the start of the three empty
> lines. After this you can finally write "Thanks!".
>
> Without your patch you will get
> =====
>
> > I like KMail,
>
>  but I miss this and that feature.
> =====
> Now you simply type a ">", go two lines up and write "Thanks!".

it's not very easy.
Me when I respond to a mail, I split a lot of time quoted paragraph ..

> Another bug of your feature is that pressing Return at the begin of a
> quoted line (in order to insert an empty line before the quoted line)
> will add a quote before the new empty line. I doubt that anyone ever
> wants this.

if you press twice enter, with my patch it's that you want to write an
non-quoted paragraph.

> All in all I don't see the usefulness of your patch. Instead it's highly
> annoying. In the current form it won't be committed to KMail. But it
> might be possible to fix the problems which I explained above. If you
> can fix those problems then I will reconsider adding this feature to
> KMail.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

Regards.