List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: New patch
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-25 21:36:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 24 April 2003 18:24, Laurent Montel wrote:
> Hi,
> Patch from knode :
> So this patch allows to add quote when we press return, when
> paragraph is quoted.
>
> It's very usefull.

I don't think that this patch is useful. How often do you want to added
some quoted text (usually you don't change quoted text)? And how often
do you want to add a comment to a part of a quoted paragraph? I
regularly do the latter and I don't think I ever did the former.

Example:
Let's assume the following quoted text is given:
=====
> I like KMail, but I miss this and that feature.
=====

Now let's assume that I want to reply in the following way:
=====
> I like KMail,

Thanks!

> but I miss this and that feature.

Then submit a wish via bugs.kde.org.
=====

With your patch it's very difficult to split the quoted paragraph. If
you try this by pressing Return four times after "KMail," you will end
up with
=====
> I like KMail,
>

>     but I miss this and that feature.
=====
Now you have to delete the four additional spaces before the "but" and
you will have to remove the three ">" from the start of the three empty
lines. After this you can finally write "Thanks!".

Without your patch you will get
=====
> I like KMail,

 but I miss this and that feature.
=====
Now you simply type a ">", go two lines up and write "Thanks!".

Another bug of your feature is that pressing Return at the begin of a
quoted line (in order to insert an empty line before the quoted line)
will add a quote before the new empty line. I doubt that anyone ever
wants this.

All in all I don't see the usefulness of your patch. Instead it's highly
annoying. In the current form it won't be committed to KMail. But it
might be possible to fix the problems which I explained above. If you
can fix those problems then I will reconsider adding this feature to
KMail.

Regards,
Ingo