List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: text categorization & spam
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-31 21:47:53

On Friday 31 January 2003 20:39, billy.corgan@tiscali.it wrote:
<snip>
> I would like to know if there is some work in progress for an
> intelligent anti spam for kmail.

There's no-one actively working on it. I have some stuff here that I
wrote down in a few minutes or so, but since the issue is currently
very well solved with the "pipe through", I stopped working on that.

You know that there's already bogofilter by Eric Raymond, which uses ANN
methods as classificator? If you intend to roll your own, you'd want to
simply make it a command-line tool, which adds a special header do that
any MUA, not only KMail, can use it.

> I am starting a project on machine
> learning applied to text categorization, and I would like to test it
> in the field of filtering spam. I think adding it to kmail could be
> nice, but I have null experience of kmail API,QT API, I know just
> some didactic C++, because I am mainly a Java coder.
> What do you think about it? Any suggestions,proposals,any "no
> thanks"? :-)

You are of course free to write YABSF, and it's probably not much work
if you need to implement a ANN that classifies text for the university,
but in any case you don't need (and should not use) Qt for that. Just a
plain command line tool.

Personally, I'd recommend joining the bogofilter team instead, YMMV.

Marc

--
The DMCA is unconstitutional, but they don't care. Until it's ruled
unconstitutional, they've won. If they can scare software companies,