List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Full text searching
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-27 2:14:35

On Thursday 26 December 2002 02:07, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 December 2002 08:40, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Full text indexing is a killer feature.
>
> I agree. However, the actual "addTerm()" functions seem to use
> char*, not QString. I already asked Sam about that, but didn't get
> an answer yet: Does this mean these functions can only be used for
> ASCII and Latin1 etc, and not for Unicode? Or is that irrelevant,
> since mails are never directly sent as e.g. UTF-8 (are they?)?

I think it's an encoded char*.

> > BTW: This feature has nothing to do with a DB backend for storing
> > mail.
>
> Well, there are DB backends that give you this feature for free,
> like MySQL. I think Marc was referring to that.

But they would require users storing their mail in a MySQL database,
that's not a reasonable expectation for most users.

Don.sanders@kde.org
KMail Cool  Co-founder / kmailcool.org
KMail  Adopter / kmail.kde.org
KDE PIM  Co-founder / kdepim.org
KAddressbook  Founder / kaddressbook.org
KDE  Contributor / kde.org