List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail and WINE integration - virus
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-24 17:31:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On Thursday 24 October 2002 08:44, Roger Larsson wrote:
> Have you read
>
> 	http://articles.linuxguru.net/view/198
>
> What to do about it?

Hi Roger,

believe me, this is a Hoax!  :-D

Please see yourself - I am sure after reading it all you will agree to me:

They wrote:
     (...)
     Finally, the most important 'bug' most distributions have,
     is allowing a Windows executable to be run with wine without
     an obvious chance for interception, by default. Sure, it
     comes up with a window, telling you that wine is running,
     and allowing you to disable the notice, however, it does
     NOT warn you about the application being executed in such
     a way that you could stop it before it was started.
     (...)

To end the confusion that was caused by this article we would like
to state a very simple fact:

This has always been, is and will ever be *wrong*!

The contrary is true: An explicit warning dialog is shown and the
user must click on [Open] there - which is *not* the default button.

The dialog e.g. looks like this:

        "Open attachment 'notepad.exe' with 'WINE'?

         Note that opening an attachment may compromise
         your system's security!"

So there is no automatic execution of the windows binary, and the user
*is* told what would happen if she clicks the [Open] button.

Please have a look at the screenshot attached below:

  IMHO this *is* a good warning dialog!

  It explains _what_ will be loaded/executed and
  it explains _how_ this would be done: by running WINE.

So it is clear that the statements made in this linuxguru.net article
are absolutely wrong.

IMHO this is a Hoax published shortly before the release of KDE 3.1
- perhaps in order to apply some FUD technics to potential KDE users.

Cheers
Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>

["KMail_Attachment_Open_WARNING.png" (image/png)]