List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail and WINE integration - virus
From:       Daniel Naber <daniel.naber () t-online ! de>
Date:       2002-10-24 16:17:01

On Thursday 24 October 2002 17:57, Luis Pedro Coelho wrote:

> I think kmail should not warn on every attachment open.

We show a security warning if there's a possible security problem. Opening
an attachment *is* always a potential security problem. There have been so
many buffer overflows in so many different programs which can be triggered
by carefully built input that it's just not correct to say "opening a ZIP
file is safe".

Anyway, if the attachment is not known, the button says "Open with.." and
you have to explicitly select an application. If the application is known,
we show what application will be used to open the file. If someone clicks
"Open" when we ask "Open destroy.pl with 'perl'?" - what should we do
about that? And even for that case he would have to change his settings
for perl files (otherwise it's displayed in an editor). And there's also a
different attachment icon for images than for other files.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de