List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    RFC: delete from server on filter match
From:       "Mauro DePascale" <mauro.depascale () marconi ! com>
Date:       2002-10-08 12:09:30

Hi all,

I'm implementing a feature in the Domino related code and I'm wondering if
it
can be useful for other server based transports too.

The problem I'm facing now is the following:

on the Domino server, I've a very strict quota (cost reduction. . .) with
inability to create more folders than the usuals Inbox and Sent.

I already implemented on the Domino account the "Delete from server" option
la SMTP, but I find it inadequate: I'd like to be able to filter messages
on
server to choose which one keep on it and which one delete just after
having
downloaded it.
At the moment, I can just let "delete on server" disabled and select and
delete mails manually from the domino's account starting windows and using
notes (:-((().

To avoid replicating filters on server side, I choosed the following
method:

I add a checkbox into the configure filter dialog ("delete from server on
match" or something . . .), if the checkbox is selected at least once (that
is: at least one filter uses the new option) I set a global variable (on
kernel?).

When the account class process new mail, it checks for the new variable
and,
if it's set, add a row into the header with the mail's coordinate on server
to be able to remove it (i.e. X-KMAIL-FOR-REMOVE: xxxxxxxxxx).

Then into the filters' code I add the following check: if the filter
matches
and the checkbox is checked, perform a delete on server for the e-mail.

I've also to add code for removing the additional row into header once the
message passed through filters.

Let me know what do you think about . . .

Kind regard.

Larry

-

Mauro "Larry" de Pascale