List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] Re: GUI consistency
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-31 18:54:24

On Saturday 31 August 2002 18:57, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
<snip>
> - "Send Queued" -> "Send Queued Messages", "Reply All" -> "Reply to
> All", ...

Ok

> - I changed "Empty..." (folder) to "Move All Messages to Trash". This
> is consistent with "Mark All Messages As Read". (Martin proposed
> "Move Folder Contents to Trash")

Ok

> - I didn't change the order of "Move" and "Copy", e.g. in the DnD
> confirmation menu, because moving messages is in KMail much more
> common than copying messages.

That was actually the starting point of Martin, IIRC. I can imagine that
it very much hinders productivity if this standard popup is permutated
in each app.

> - I changed "Select Columns" (in the RMB menu of the folder list
> header and the message list header) to "View Columns".

Ok

> - I removed "Unread Column" and "Read Column" from the View menu as
> they are easily configurable via the RMB menu. We need to write a Tip
> of the Day for this or else the users might not find it.

Exactly because of this it should stay. An action SHOULD NOT (in the rfc
sense) appear only in context menus.

One might argue that the whole config option in and by itself is
superfluous, though. *ducks* ;-)

> - I added KMMainWin::slotSetMsgStatusForwarded() and
> KMMainWin::slotSetThreadStatusForwarded() in order to be able to set
> the status of a message or a thread to "forwarded". I already missed
> this a few times in the past.

Oops, you're right. It ought to be there. Funny nobody saw this earlier.

> - I moved "Search Messages..." to the Tools menu.

Maybe rename it to "Find Messages..."? Just a thought.

> I'm not satisfied with the message's context menu (RMB on message
> header). It's way to cluttered.

Well, Konq's isn't any better. I can't think of an entry that should not
be in there...

> Furthermore the '&a' appears twice,
> once for "Reply to _A_ll" and once for "Save _A_s". I'd prefer to
> change "Save _A_s" to "_S_ave As". But this would cause a clash in
> the File menu. Any suggestions?

Do we already have the accel conflict resolver in place?

Patch:

- -  message = i18n( "Cannot move a parent folder into a child folder." );
+  message = i18n( "Cannot move a folder into a subfolder below it." );
? message = i18n("Cannot move \"%1\" to a subfolder of itself, \"%2\")
?    .arg( <parent> ).arg( <child> )

The icon for search message should be "mail_find". There's also mail_new
etc. in HEAD's pics/

And what about the QPixmap pointers that never get deleted??? :-o

Marc

- --
They [RIAA,MPAA] are trying to invent a new crime:
interference with a business model.
                           --Bruce Schneier, Crypto-Gram 08/2002