List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: We need a short boilerplate text for KMail for various flyers
From:       Bernhard Reiter <bernhard () intevation ! de>
Date:       2002-08-10 9:32:53

Marc,
thanks for your comparison this is useful.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 12:28:16AM +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 July 2002 13:31, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > > Did you compare it to Sylpheed,
>
> Sylpheed 0.7.3 has no OpenPGP support whatsoever. 0.8.x requires an old
> gpgme version, which indicates that it can now interface with gpg.

> I've not tried 0.8.x, but your claim that it was there earlier is
> certainly not true in this case.

I know that Werner Koch brought initial gpgme support in a
development version of sylpheed. If this got extended it would be
worth a look.

> We interface with pgp 2,5,6, too.

Does not really help with OpenPGP, does it? :)

> > > mutt,
> not yet

> > > Evolution,
>
> Evolution 1.0.8 requires me to click on an icon to check the state. It,
> too, just lists the output of gpg, but they at least interpret the
> result and print a summary above it. Still, I haven't found a way to
> make signature checking be done automatically, so for me, Evo has _no_
> OpenPGP _integration_, only _support_.

Wow. AFAIK Werner once wrote support and it somehow did not get included.

> > > gnus
> not yet

Gnus and mutt are the ones that work fairly well,
because I use mutt and communicate with a lot of people using gnus.
You might need a really fresh version of the crypto bindings.

> Netscape 4.x has no OpenPGP support. It would be interesting to see
> Mozilla+enigmail.

Yes.

> I don't think we need to consider elm or pine.

I agree, especially because pine in the newer versions is not Free
Software anymore IIRC.

> Oh, XFMail is still missing. It was one of the first MUAs on Linux to
> support pgp. Should be interesting, but I didn't manage to find a
> working xforms/xfmail rpm combination ;-)

Well depending on non-free packages is always a problem.
You probably can ignore xfmail.

	Bernhard