List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Anthony Moulen <ajmoulen () moulen ! org>
Date:       2002-08-03 0:36:06

> This has nothing to do with Outlook or any other MUA. This feature is a
> fairly common feature request and this is why I'm going to implement
> it. It could/would _never_ be the default behavior, simply because it
> would go against RFC2060. But RFC2060 clearly states:
> "IMAP4rev1 also provides the capability for an offline
> client to resynchronize with the server (see also [IMAP-DISC])."
> which is exactly what's going to be implemented (for a complete
> discussion see:
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/rfc/draft-ietf-imap-disc-01.html )
> I'm planning on adding an "Advanced" tab to our IMAP account dialog and
> add option "Cache messages locally" (and move "Show hidden folders" in
> there just as well). Don't like, don't need it - don't use it; simple
> enough.
>
> Zack
Sorry to swap destination on this (it was to kde-devel) but this seems like
the more appropriate list and I was away from my mail for the last week and
just now am catching up.  I would like to help if I can on a IMAP caching
feature.  I would personally prefer something in line with what Microsoft
does with Outlook (actually Notes allows for this as well) and be able to
cache individual IMAP folders instead of the entire IMAP mail store.  I have
over 2 gig of email on my email server.  Most of this is really old archives
of mail from previous jobs and school.  I never want to see this mail sitting
on my laptop.  I do occassionly have to go digging around it for some old
file or piece of information.  I want something like my Inbox and a few key
folders besides cached for offline use.

Another thing that would be nice is if the IMAP implementation supported
proper IMAP deletion tagging.  Deleted messages under IMAP are not supposed
to be pulled from the server but tagged for deletion and later purge is
supposed to be called.  Deletion right now is painfully slow for large mail
boxes when I just want to completely empty it. Also very painful when
deleting messages over dialup that I had no intention of reading, which also
brings up a final point for this message, I should be able to tag messages
without them being previewed.