List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-08-02 16:53:35

On Thursday 01 August 2002 18:05, Michael Häckel wrote:
> Great, but then I still don't understand what you mean with "IMAP was not
> designed to leave the e-mail data on servers indefinitely, just the
> authorative header data."

I got the impression some people seemed to imply that just because the server
*does* have the data indefinitely, clients should not ever need to store it.
I should have said something along the lines of "exclusively".

> Also be warned that an IMAP server has the right to reassign new UIDs to
> all messages in a folder which requires the client to fetch all mails
> again. Some servers especially UW-IMAP do this quite often. Therefore
> caching can never be really for ever.

Of course clients will need to refetch when the message-id's change, but if
data didn't change the local cache would speed things up for some of us.
I never said that cached data would not need to be validated. And keeping a
cache would be completely optional. Current behaviour will be default. :-)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much