List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: We need a short boilerplate text for KMail for various flyers
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-31 20:25:07

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 11:55, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:11:18AM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > And I'm pretty sure that we will make PGP/MIME the default
> > (when then corresponding plugin is available).
>
> Which plug-in is missing?

I meant: (when the necessary plug-in is installed)

Well, I guess for most people this won't be a problem since the
distributors will supply the necessary plug-in.

> > > Some of them are known (I've written about the one above and the
> > > mimelib problems before).  Some can be found the
> > > Ägypten-Bugtracker.
> >
> > Which is where?
>
> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?q_queue=aegypten
> Some of the bugs we listed are bugs not directly in our code.
> Still we have to fix most of them if nobody does it
> which keeps us from doing other enchancement btw.

Nobody told us that we had to track your bug tracker. If you think there
are bugs in KMail which are not in your code then please forward those
bug report to this mailing list. Even better would be to submit real
bug reports via submit@bugs.kde.org. The first three lines of those
messages should read:
Package: kmail
Version: cvs
Severity: normal

The message must not contain any attachments which also means it must
not be signed.

> > > Better call it "good" or "full OpenPGP integration to be save.
> >
> > "Good" would certainly be an understatement.
>
> Why? It does not say how good.

Exactly. I would prefer "great". But "great" doesn't sound very
professional IMO.

> > And "full" would be wrong because KMail (as an email client)
> > doesn't include key management tools.
>
> Is this necessary for an email client to include this?

No. But people are constantly submitting feature wishes for this. And
they might argue that "full support" should include key management.

> That is the point, you could only honestly write:
> 	We except KMail to have the best OpenPGP support,
> 	but we don't know for sure because we never compared
> 	it to the competition seriously.

Let's wait for the next comparison of Unix email clients in c't or iX.
;-)

"Excellent". That's it. KMail has excellent OpenPGP support.

Regards,
Ingo