List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting date handling.
From:       Zack Rusin <zackrat () att ! net>
Date:       2002-03-31 19:27:13

On Sunday 31 March 2002 22:25, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Hm, the ::zone() method seems expensive to me. Can't one obtain the
> timezone from libc? I remember that localtime() sets a global
> variable that contains the offset to GMT, but that could be a
> GNU-ism.

Ohhh, I forgot about it. I have three versions of that function as there
are three ways of getting the zone. The POSIX way is to call tzset()
which sets global "timezone" variable holding the difference in seconds
between GMT and your local time, the other is the glibc way - glibc
adds tm_gmtoff member to struct tm, and stores what timezone variable
would hold and the third way is what you saw in the ::zone() which
doesn't depend on any of the above but is painfully slow. I'll add
checks for the first two to configure.in and make it use the right one.

> Personally, I can wait until you have cvs access. Do as you like.

Sounds good, I'll fix the ::zone thingy and commit.

Zack

--
Nostalgia: The good old days multiplied by a bad memory...