List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmailrc split up in several files? was: Re: $%^#%&^@%&@%
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-04 11:36:11

On Monday 04 February 2002 11:38, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Johannes Liedtke wrote:
> > Me neither, but I think having a separate file for the filters, one
> > for
> > the accounts, one for the ids and one for the folders would make
> > sense...
>
> As long as those files aren't used by other programs I have to agree
> with Michael that this doesn't make sense. Why should we clutter the
> kde config directory with five KMail-only configuration files? Just
> because the kmailrc might be destroyed during a system crash? That's
> ridiculous. The best solution for this problem which would prevent
> _all_ config files of _all_ KDE programs from being lost during a crash
> would be to always keep a backup copy of all config files, i.e. by
> always moving the old config file to xyzrc~ before writing the new
> config file. This should be implemented and not a splitting of the
> kmailrc.

Soemthing like an automatic backup of config files should be implemented in
KConfig not KMail.

I still think it makes sense to split off the filter configuration from the
normal config file, because it makes it easier to move or edit filter
settings manually, which is for example necessary, when you move filter
settings from one account to another.

Having several files instead of one in a directory the normal user never
looks at I can't see as "cluttering" or any other disadvantage.