List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: $%^#%&^@%&@%
From:       Volker Augustin <volker.augustin () stud ! uni-regensburg ! de>
Date:       2002-02-04 11:18:55

> About creation of non-existant folders, why not simply add a New_folder
> button next to the target folder selection in the config dialog. I
> don't see the need for automatic folder creation. If the user wants to
> move messages to a folder he could simply create it at once. Why should
> folder creation be delayed?

A new folder button is an option. However, it only solves part of the problem.
Robs point of view is that a filter should created necessary folders as needed
and *recreate* them if they are deleted. Obviously Eudora does it like that.
I disagree on this issue. So we thought it would be best to make that
configurable.

> IMO invalid filters should simply be ignored and there should be a
> warning on program start (maybe with the buttons Ignore and Configure).
> In the filter dialog invalid filter should be marked and then the user
> can simply delete those invalid filters which he now longer needs.

The argument against this was that we do not want such a dialog on each
startup. Thus there should be a way to disable them and only show such a
dialog for *enabled* invalid filters.

> I'm against your idea to add options like
>
> > a) Enable automatically
> > b) Ask user
> > c) Ignore
>
> to the filter config dialog. This will only clutter the config dialog
> with IMO unnecessary options and confuse the average user.

Actually I would be perfectly happy with ignoring filters without showing any
information. However, Robs argument was that a user might try to recreate a
non-working filter without noticing that it's simply invalid. Now you could
say "So, what? He should look more carefully.".  We considered checking for
duplicate filters on filter creation, but this is clearly an impossible
thing.

Maybe I should forward the whole discussion to the list?

Regards,
Volker Augustin