List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: $%^#%&^@%&@%
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-02 14:00:40

On Saturday 02 February 2002 06:09, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> On Saturday 02 February 2002 04:01, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Ok, who's idea was it to remove filter rules when the folder doesn't
> > exist?
>
> Obviously not yours. ;-)
> So what should we do with broken filters? Just keep them and always bail
> out with an error message if the rule matches but the target folder
> doesn't exist? Or ask the user on every KMail start for every broken
> filter if it should be deleted?

Grrr! Destructive actions should _never_ occur without user's agreement. Not
the MS "For the fifth time, are you sure you want to delete this word?" kind
of thing, but a thoughtful question with a bit of docu explaining what would
happen.

Why should the filter be deleted and not the folder be created?? This is what
procmail does. Even more, the filter creation dialog should _offer_
possibility of giving a nonexistent folder's name, so that user doesn't have
to quit the dialog, create the folder manually and then come back to the
filter creation.

And I think that, finally, it is time to seriously ponder the extraction of
filters from the kmail rc file. They aren't well placed there. They should be
in a share/apps/kmail/filter file and backups of this file should be modified
at modification.

--
Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna@sympatico.ca
PhD Student .. ctibirna@giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna