List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail under Solaris and Linux
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <haeckel () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-31 11:49:10

On Thursday 31 January 2002 12:23:12, Jochen Reinwand wrote:

> Hhhmmm...
> Perhaps I should rebuild the complete package for Linux. I had some other
> strange behaviours that could be related to this...
> Thanks for the advise!
> BTW: Why is there no advise during configure, like "You should use a newer
> Qt version?"...

Qt-2.3.2 was released after the code freeze for KDE 2.2.2 and therefore it
wasn't discovered before, that there are problems. Nevertheless, it is
mentioned in the announcement.

> It really seems to be not very easy to get a good e-mail client for Unix.
> The only clients here that are working are the text based (pine, mutt) and
> kmail from kde 1.1.2. But we want to have a modern mailer for our users.
> Not everyone likes mutt (hard to believe, but it's true ;-) ). Sylpheed
> seems to be a very good mailer. But guess, what kind of problems they have
> with their index files :-)

You can still run the old KMail 1.0.29.2 on a KDE 2.2.2 desktop if you also
have the old kdelibs installed in a different directory. Nevertheless the 1E9
second problem and some other fairly serious problems are still in this
version and I would actually not really encourage to use it.

Regarding the problem with the index files: The main purpose of these files is
definitely better performance and therefore no additional byte swapping
should be done that is not needed by at least 99,9% of the users that use
either Solaris or Linux but not both. You are the first one who reported this
problem.

The only way I see to solve this well is to introduce a compatibility mode
that doesn't use any index files at all and therefore has lower performance
but works. This should finally also make the mutt users happy, that complain
about bad interoperability between KMail and mutt when they use the same
folders or the users that absolutely want to use procmail with KMail.

Regards,
Michael Häckel