List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail under Solaris and Linux
From:       Jochen Reinwand <Jochen.Reinwand () lau-net ! de>
Date:       2002-01-31 11:23:03

Am Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2002 18:21 schrieb Michael Häckel:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2002 17:48:17, Jochen Reinwand wrote:
> > Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm NOT using Qt 3.0!
> > On Solaris kde is linked against Qt 2.3.2 and on Linux against 2.2.4.
> > Is it possible that the problem ist related to the different Qt versions?
>
> Actually Qt-2.3.1 is recommended for KDE 2.2.2, but this is probably not
> the problem here.

Hhhmmm...
Perhaps I should rebuild the complete package for Linux. I had some other
strange behaviours that could be related to this...
Thanks for the advise!
BTW: Why is there no advise during configure, like "You should use a newer Qt
version?"...

> > > The problem: the .*.index files of kmail seem to have a byte order
> > > problem. If the file is generated under Linux, Solaris does not display
> > > any messages. Only the messages that arrive during the folder is active
> > > can be accessed. If you switch to another folder an back they vanish.
> > > They are not deleted from the folder file, but it is not possible to
> > > access them out of kmail. Deleting .*.index is the only way to fix it.
> > > Now you can read your Mails with Solaris. But now Linux cannot access
> > > the mail folders...
> > >
> > > Do I make something wrong, are there any hidden configuration options
> > > or is it a bug?
>
> It's probably a bug, but I currently don't know, how to fix this.
>
> The index files are binary files for performance reasons. They contain some
> ushort numbers written directely into the files.
> The strings are also written in 16bit unicode, but there I currently don't
> know if there are also byte order problems.
>
> You could work around this by running always a script before starting KMail
> that removes the index files, but then you loose status information and
> performance.

It really seems to be not very easy to get a good e-mail client for Unix. The
only clients here that are working are the text based (pine, mutt) and kmail
from kde 1.1.2. But we want to have a modern mailer for our users. Not
everyone likes mutt (hard to believe, but it's true ;-) ). Sylpheed seems to
be a very good mailer. But guess, what kind of problems they have with their
index files :-)

regards
Jochen