List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: wish: thread building ala mutt
From:       Rob Walker <rob () myinternetplace ! net>
Date:       2002-01-31 6:42:13

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 18:32, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> Because those headers have to be written to the mailbox file. And
> because it's not possible to insert stuff in the middle of a mailbox
> file (for performance reasons) the message would have to be appended to
> the mailbox file together with the new headers. Futhermore everytime
> the whole mailbox file would have to be scanned in order to get the
> threading right. This costs to much time. It would be much better to
> store this information in the index files.

VM (mail reader under XEmacs/Emacs) does this.  In my emails, I see the
following header:

        ["442253" "Friday" "25" "May" "2001" "09:31:43" "EDT" "Tamrof@aol.com"
"Tamrof@aol.com" nil "6082" "FML #406 - Space invaders" "^From:" nil nil "5"
nil "FML #406 - Space invaders" nil nil nil] nil)

and it adds this header for every email.  I can provide more examples if
needed.  I don't know if it does it for imap emails or not.  I suspect it
does.

rob