List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Feature request?
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <haeckel () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-27 9:34:27

On Sunday 27 January 2002 00:34, JW wrote:

> And perhaps some integration with other KDE components isn't a bad idea,
> anyway. In fact I thought ya'll were indeed working on with Knode, aren't
> you?

By sharing common code a library, but not by merging the whole applications
and the GUI.

> OTH, I thought KDE as a "Desktop Environment" was meant to have all it's
> components "integrated" at the D-E level anyway - it shouldn't have to be
> entirely up to the application to take integration matters into it's own
> hand, should it (not that I have any knowledge of what I'm talking about
> here ;-) )?

Integration doesn't mean, that all functionality has to be in a single
application. For example KNode or Korganizer can send mails via KMail and
maybe somewhen KMail can pass ical attachments automatically to KOrganizer
and things like that.

For example I personally have neither a Palm nor a handy and still can
organize my dates better with an organizer on real paper so I don't need most
of the functionality of such a killer app.

> >The only thing which
> >we had to do is make a KPart out of KMail. But this wouldn't be such a
> >bad idea. KMail could then still be used either as standalone
> >application or as one of multiple plugins in the Kommunication shell or
> >even as plugin in Konqueror (at least the KMComposer part).

This is a way how it could work and several people have already promised to do
that but with little result so far.
But do we gain anyting by this, besides, that on the left of the window there
are some icons where you can switch between the different parts? Currently
you can switch in the task bar.
This just might be an improvement for people that like to run all applications
in full screen mode.

Regards,
Michael Häckel