List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMMsgDict slowness
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <haeckel () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-02 19:29:39

On Thursday 03 January 2002 03:02, Ronen Tzur wrote:

> I disagree.   When you changed the number of buckets to 199,999 you
> made the lookup performed by dict->find(msn) faster, and just doing that
> gave you a rate of 15 messages per second.   What I propose is to get rid
> of the lookup entirely, so the result would be even better than 15.
>
> In my opinion, paying extra four bytes per message for this isn't that
> costly. Would you reconsider?

This is a lot of memory for people that have a lot of messages stored. This
dictionary already needs quite some memory.

I don't see a reason for wasting any amount of memory just because the
algorithm used is stupid. And this algorithm anyway needs changing.

If you don't want to change that to update for all moved mails at once, I can
also do that, I doubt, that this is much work.

Regards,
Michael Häckel