List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Confusion over 'you wrote'/'fred wrote'
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-12-31 9:48:50

On Sunday December 30, 2001 03:21, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> - - if you can think of a good icon for reply-to-list which clearly
> conveys it's purpose then we'll add it to the action list so that
> everyone can decide for himself if he wants it in his toolbar.

Hm, only idea I can come up with is to have a scroll or something mailing
*list*-inspiring superimposed on the Reply icon.

> - - but why do you need an icon for this in the first place. why don't
> you simply use the shortcut key [the default being 'l']. this is much
> faster than moving the mouse to the toolbar, finding the right reply
> icon and clicking on it.

KMail is a graphical mail client, not a text-based one, that's why.

> - - reply-to-sender is possible via the rmb menu on the senders email
> address. as you anyway seems to use the mouse to reply to messages why
> don't you simply use this feature.

Because KMail is a graphical client, and that feature has no graphical
presence whatsoever, I had no idea that feature existed.  Obviously the
original suggester never saw it, either.  Does anyone who doesn't follow
KMail development know about it?

> - - if a reply-to header is set then the reply MUST go to the reply-to
> address. a reply-to-sender will only confuse all those
> non-mailinglist-experts. after all, on private mail reply is identical
> to reply-to-sender [and if not then it's not identical on purpose], but
> joe user won't know this and will be very confused by this additional
> reply-to-sender option.

Confusion on one hand, and annoyance on the other for users on KDE and
other mailing lists whose admins see fit to insert the list as the
reply-to.  Better avoid the confusion, because it's not KMail's fault how
a mailing list is configured.

Thanks for the tips,

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.