List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] kmfolderdia
From:       Carsten Burghardt <cb () emedia-consult ! de>
Date:       2001-11-27 7:17:36

On Monday 26 November 2001 22:28, Michael Häckel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 26 November 2001 20:26, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > some of the items of the new folder dialog are not relevant or not active
> > for imap-folders. Therefore this patch deactivates them if the user
> > selects
>
> In general this is nice. It should probably also work correctely, if
> already initially an IMAP folder is sectected.

The initially selected item is the "Top Level" which is local. If that'll
change...ok, I'll put it in.

> > a imap-folder (apart from the noContent() change...)
>
> Sorry, but this change in broken. At least on the UW-IMAP server these
> folders are the only folders, that can contain subfolders at all. Also it
> is no longer possible to create top level folders and the tree structure in
> the combobox is incomplete.

Ups, you're right.

> BTW: There is still a little feature missing. On the UW-IMAP server there
> is a difference between folders that can contain subfolders and folders
> that can contain mail. It is currently not possible with KMail to create
> nested folders on that server, just to use already created ones.
>
> Any idea on how to do that best and display it only, when it makes a
> difference?

We'll have to set the noContent on these folders that can only contain
folders. Then we should grey these out in the normal folder tree to indicate
that the user can't put mails in there. I don't see a problem with the
creation of new subfolders as long as they don't contain mails. If I can
remember right I had an UW-IMAP before I installed my Cyrus and I created
folders there.
The only real problem is to find out whether the server supports mails in
subfolders or not. There is no capability command I think. Netscape lets the
user decide but I doubt that all the users know what server their provider
has.
Perhaps we can test this?

> > The only thing I inserted is the selection of the folder type
> > (mbox,maildir) which is obviously not relevant. I don't know if the
> > others (mailinglist, expire) are implemented for imap. Comments?
>
> Mailing lists work well in IMAP folders, expire doesn't.
> This is already hidden correctely, if you view the properties of an already
> existing folder.

OK, I'll add the expire.

> Regards,
> Michael Häckel