List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Crypto plugins
From:       Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan () intevation ! de>
Date:       2001-10-31 12:56:28

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:23:20PM +0100, Michael Häckel wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 October 2001 09:45, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > The BSI didn't provide any specification except that KMail and Mutt
> > are to be Sphinx-enabled. The design you criticize, is the one
> > of the Ägypten team. I am glad for your critics for it clearly
> > shows and stores the overall way to go.
> > Can you make a small web page
> > describing the optimal design, which we can always refer to from the
> > Ägypten project to explain that only a first step is made?
>
> The actual problem here, is the the MIME implementation of KMail is currently
> in progress of being rewritten since the library we currently use has a few
> design limitations.

are there any (even coarse) web pages that roughly describe how it
all is planned to work together? A picture of it would probably explain
it better than 1000 words and a web-page is good to refer to.

> Mainly it is memory and CPU inefficient, when it comes to huge attachments.
> This results in bug reports like "KMail crashed, when I tried to send KDE 2.2
> (80 MB) via e-mail to a friend".
:-)

> It was also planned, to implement things like PGP/MIME directely into this
> library. This means of course, that this library needs finishing first,
> before PGP/MIME can be implemented, which for your plans doesn't seem to be
> an option. Therefore some double work has to be done.

True, but at least it should reduce the overall amount of work for you :-)

Regards

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/