List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Mitarbeit?
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-29 13:34:39

  found a Solution!   :-)

On Monday 29 October 2001 15:48, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Sunday 28 October 2001 18:15, Michael Häckel wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Why does removing of well working stuff free resources?
>
> <snip>
>
> Because we want to enhance KMail in the encrypt/sign department
> dramatically:
>
> - S/MIME
> - RFC3156
> - using gpgme
>
> These alone require an almost complete rewrite of kpgp. We should
> base it on gpgme, but that doesn't support PGPi.
..
> So (temporarily) dropping PGPi would mean a drastic simplification
> for the kpgp module.

Studying our specifications regarding this PGP issues this morning
I was happy to find out that, yes, we _will_ be able to provide a
solution that will pease you and us.  :)

This is what we will do:

<quoting "Sphinx MUA Integration" that's located here:
http://cvs.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/aegypten-specs/mua-integration.sgml?cvsroot=Project+Aegypten

   The following steps ensure that a working implementation is available
   whenever possible:

   1. Implement the necessary integration functionality (plugin loader,
      etc.) in KMail.

   2. Write a null plugin to test the KMail integration functionality.

   3. Convert the current OpenPGP functionality in KMail into a security
      plugin. Test the functionality as taken from the plugin.

   4. Remove the built-in OpenPGP functionality from KMail.

   5. Write a second plugin that uses GPGME. Test the functionality of
      this plugin.
</quoting>

Hint: For reading this .sgml file, you might want to run the command
      "db2html mua-integration.sgml".
      This will create a directory "mua-integration", just open the
      file mua-integration/t1.html in konqueror.

Now in case (s)he wants to have the old OpenPGP based functionallity as
it was before will be: just use the "OpenPGP Plug-In" instead of the new
"GpgME Plug-In".

Does that sound good?   :)

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>

   BugCops  ***  Making Free Software Better  ***  http://bugcops.org