List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail features for 3.0
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-28 23:06:41

On Sunday 28 October 2001 16:32, Michael Häckel wrote:
> On Sunday 28 October 2001 20:48, George Staikos wrote:
> > Can the following features be added to KMail for 3.0?
> >
> >   - Notification if a pop3/imap/smtp session is secure.  We have the icon
> > already, we just need a sane way to display this.  It's been discussed
> > here before, to no end.  With SMTP I guess it could go in the sending
> > dialog, and with IMAP I guess it could go in the folder entry in the
> > folders list. For pop3, perhaps the only way is the status bar.
>
> There is no SMTP sending dialog anymore.

   Hmmm.  I think the kmail notification code is really dysfunctional.  While
it's very nice that network operations are unobtrusive, it's really important
to be able to monitor the progress of each transmission, especially for users
on unreliable links (like wireless).

> >    - Can it be made so that during a pop3 download, updating of the
> > statusbar is disabled so that the only thing on the status bar is pop3
> > download status?
> >
> >    - A gui to select the client certificate for use with a pop3 account,
> > imap account, or smtp sender identity?  I can help with these from the
> > SSL side. Basically it's just a static call which returns a QStringList,
> > and then let the user choose one.  Then during the transmission, you send
> > that string in metadata.
>
> Well, if someone does it :-)

    That's what I am getting at.  I'm asking if anyone is interested in doing
this on the GUI side.  If anyone will do it.  I can help on the backend.

   The second point is very easy though, I think.  Disabling the statusbar
updates should simply be disconnecting signal/slots.

--

George Staikos