List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for comments: New address book API
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-19 10:25:50

On Thursday 18 October 2001 23:42, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2001 01:58, Don Sanders wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 October 2001 07:27, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 17 October 2001 01:55, Don Sanders wrote:
>
> > Perhaps the new addressbook API could be extended to add
> > support for PGP, ICQ and AIM keys.
>
> I don't think this would be useful. It would only clutter the API.
> IMO it suffices that the API supports arbitrary key/value pairs. But
> it would be good if there would be a place where all the key/value
> pairs which applications add to the address book where gathered to
> avoid conflicts between different applications using the same keys
> for different things.

The vCard format provides a PGP key field. So I think it makes sense to
add that to the API. For other ICQ and similar addresses it probably
also makes sense to add support in the API. As a general rule we should
provide API functions for all data that is used by multiple
applications to make sure that it is used in a consistent way.

For data, which is only used by a single application, custom entries
might be better. The new address book API already requires that custom
entries are specified with an identifier for the application. This
should make sure that there are no conflicts.

Another way to add custom data to the address book would be to store it
independently and link it with the address book entries by references
to the unique id of the entries.