List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Domino 5.x support in KMail
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-28 6:21:38

On Thursday, 27. September 2001 18:32, Michael Häckel wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2001 15:29, Mauro DePascale wrote:
> > Now, my question: can be there any interest in adding this work to the
> > main source tree? I need some help with attachs, because I know little
> > about the RFCs and the main application structure, but obviously I don't
> > want to bother people with questions if nobody will use it except me.
> >
> > Please let's me know what do you think about .
> > I'll be happy to give more technical details and informations about how
> > to setup the system to anyone interested.
>
> In general I'm against adding support for such proprietary protocols to the
> main sources of KMail, especially since for all these tasks standards like
> POP3, IMAP, SMTP and LDAP exist which are used by the rest of the world.

Yes. But unfortunately there are some companies that have Domino
servers. As at my workplace here, for example. The admins refuse to
open IMAP and POP3 ports, so I have to stick with VMware, and can't
even have some sort of biff running to check for new mails.

Even if it is proprietary, I think Domino is still widely used in companies,
and it would be nice to have support for it. This would help bring Kde
into more companies, IMO.

Btw, Mauro, do you use the proprietary Notes/Domino protocol, or
do you use POP/IMAP ports?

Kind regards,
Stefan