List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    kmail wishlist/bugs
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-03-23 11:47:48

Hi,

since a few days, I've managed to ditch mutt and switch over to kmail. I have
to say, kmail has improved significantly since I last tried it. Great job!
The biggest problem I had was folder-switching which is now fast enough for
me to switch. The other reason is that thanks to Guillaume I can now use
kmail together with my procmail setup. Finally I can take advantage of a
full-featured GUI mail-client :)

I've compiled a list of small things which (IMHO) would improve usability of
kmail. Some things are tiny, some may be unwanted by you -- I would simply
like to know if you agree with me, if you like to fix an issue or if I should
do it myself.

- Moving of folders into another folder is not possible. I thought I could
  simply drag a folder as a subfolder into another one.

No problem, I simply select all mails from a folder and move them into a
subfolder myself, but:

- that doesn't move all mails; those inside a collapsed thread will not
  be moved.

- Replying to a mail places the cursor into the To: edit instead of the
  editor. That makes sense when composing new mails, but replies
  usually don't need adjustments of the recipients.

- After clicking on a message in the listview and moving the mouse to the
  mail-content view, scrolling with the wheel-mouse will move both the
  listview and the content view.

- Is there an easy way to switch between proportional and non-proportional
  font in composer and viewer (for "ascii-art" or rather things like
  underlining or marking something with ^^^)?

- The focus in the Account setup dialog is on the OK-button by default,
  should be in the first lineedit.

- The signature shouldn't implicitly get a -- delimiter (it should be shown
  in the signature editor). E.g. I would like to put my name at the bottom
  of every mail without having to type if myself everytime, however the name
  should not be below the delimiter.

- Pressing ok in the config dialog should show the busy-cursor (can take
  quite some time, when a large folder is currently open).

- The ability to configure folders would be nice (setting icons, defining a
   sorting order other than alphabetic, fonts).

- KURLRequester should be used where possible (instead of lineedit +
  pushbutton).

- The search-dialog (the big one) could have context-menu: Delete, open,
  forward (the same as the mails-view) instead of just making the mails-view
  jump to the selected mail. That way, you wouldn't have to switch between
  those two views all the time.

- Right-clicking on an email-address and choosing "Add to addressbook" opens
  a chooser asking me where I'd like to add that email-address to. While this
  is useful when you have a full addressbook already, this shouldn't happen
  when there is no entry to select, yet.

- Only the email-address is taken automatically, I have to type the name
  myself (even if the address has the form Firstname Lastname <bla@foo.org>.

- Is there a way to add the sender of a mail to the addressbook (from the
  mails-listview or the content view? I didn't find an entry in the
  context-menu.

- When deleting the root mail of a thread, the children get re-sorted
  somewhere else in the listview (depending on e.g. date, when that's
  the sort criteria). While this seems to be "correct", it makes it hard
  to read mails from first unread to last unread, because you have to
  of the current-item is confusing.

  I would prefer if I could simply go on reading the thread without it jumping
  around whenever I delete the top-most message.

- Would it be possible to give some message a state "TODO" or something like
  that? Sometimes I have some mails in a folder which I'd like to answer a
  bit later, so I'd like to distinguish those from the "normal" mails.

  The "new" or "unread" state isn't sufficient, because those are reverted to
  the "normal" state whenever the mail is read (which happens automatically
  when e.g. deleting the message above, forcing me to re-set the state all
  the time).

I think that's it for now :) If anyone agrees with some of my wishes, I'm
happy to look into the issue and send a patch.

Thanks,
Carsten Pfeiffer