List:       klyx
Subject:    klyx info - for a novice
From:       Andrew Sear <A.Sear () consultco ! com>
Date:       2001-04-28 22:25:05

Hi

I have just been looking into klyx and have a couple of questions I
hope someone will answer.

I have no strong preferences to lyx or klyx, I am just trying to find an
alternative to MS Word and Windows NT/2000.  I also have not been happy
with word processing for about 10 years, so I not paid a lot of
attention to Star Office.

1.  I am using the version shipping with Suse 7.1, and I guess this is
version 0.10.  It seems to me this version is getting a little old, is
it still being actively developed?  Or should I look to lyx?

2.  How do you handle file exchange with people still using Word?  It
seems like pdf might be the best format, however it gets expensive to
edit pdf files I believe (on the Windows platforms anyway).

3.  Are there are large number of document classes available?  In
particular Thesis documents and "User Guides" for software developers?

4.  What is the situation with the file format, what is it?  Is it
possible to save files as XML (for example) and then have a DTD (or
schema) available to interact with tex, latex, etc...  This way the
document could easliy be used for many purposes?

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

TIA

Andrew