List:       klik-devel
Subject:    Re: [klik-devel] Reminder: Klik Dev Meeting - Beta Release
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-04-27 11:33:43

RazZziel wrote:
>>  * "klik --help" seems to suggest to me that one of my previous favourites
>>    "klik prompt ace-of-penguins.cmg" has been sent to /dev/null. However,
>>    there is now supposed to be a new (less intuitive, harder to remember)
>>    "klik -p ace-of-penguins" possibility to get the same thing.... But it
>>    does not work at all.
>
> Still not implemented, and if you all don't like the "-p" thing
> there's no prroblem in keep it.

I don't care _too_ much about "klik prompt ..." vs. "klik -p ...".

What I care very much about is *consistency* in the user interface (even
if the UI is commandline).

I just did not understand why there occurred a code change at all, that
starts to remove a perfectly working (and understandable, in our con-
text: even "intuitive" and easy to memorize) commandline. This is true
for even more commands:

   klik shell ...
   klik jail ...
   klik prompt ...

are up to be *replaced* (not amended) with the harder to remember (and
currently not working, for me)

   klik -s ...
   klik -j ...
   klik -p ...

(I'm just talking from a mere user point of view -- I have no idea if
the one or the other is more difficult to code and to maintain in the
internal Python programming, and I don't care for the sake of *this*
argument, which is only about consistency in the UI....)

I found the "apt"-inspired way to build the CLI subcommand structure of
klik quite comprehensible:

   klik get ...
   klik info ...
   klik pack ...
   klik unpack ...
   klik merge ...
   klik extract ...
   klik icon ...
   klik register ...
   klik unregister ...
   klik sync ...
   klik prompt ...
   klik shell ...
   klik jail ...

I'll even find another, "-y"- or "--yyyyyyy"-like interface good enough,
if you all choose to change to that due to your code creation and code
maintainance considerations.

But I won't find a *mix* of the styles a la "klik foo", "klik --bar" and
"klik -x" to be anything that I can like.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS