List:       klik-devel
Subject:    Re: [klik-devel] Reminder: Klik Dev Meeting - Beta Release
From:       RazZziel <razielmine () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-04-27 6:33:16

>  * "klik --help" seems to suggest to me that one of my previous favourites
>    "klik prompt ace-of-penguins.cmg" has been sent to /dev/null. However,
>    there is now supposed to be a new (less intuitive, harder to remember)
>    "klik -p ace-of-penguins" possibility to get the same thing.... But it
>    does not work at all.

Still not implemented, and if you all don't like the "-p" thing
there's no prroblem in keep it. It's not pretty, but it's much more
flexible. For example, we now have to choose between run in a jail
with "klik jail", force the prompt with "klik prompt" or select the
executable with "klik run" (between theese three right now the only
problem would be between jail and run, but the design would have
problems to grow with new options).
Using flags, one can specify an unlimited number of running variables,
and new operation modes can be easily added. There's no problem in
saying "execute this executable from that cmg in a portable jail
redirecting the data to this partition and also turn the application
window to black and white with pink borders and force to open a xterm
when executing it to check debug and override this configuration file
and use that one and suchlike". Not pretty but the 99% of the software
out there is happy with it :P

>    klik tries to find an recipe for an application
>    named "-p" now. But, the no longer documented "klik prompt ..." command
>    still (at least) brings the prompting dialog up. Selecting an app does
>    however not start it. Instead, the klik GUI silently disappears.

klik prompt should work like always, and at least it does on my system
with ace-of-penguins and freecell. Have you tried to download the cmg
again? Does it fail for all of you?

>  * "klik xvier" does not work. After downloading ingredients and building
>    the .cmg, the feedback dialog does come up immediately with an error.

Works perfectly for me. Are you sure your klik installation is clean?
Both "klik xvier", "klik xvier.cmg", "klik prompt xvier.cmg" and "klik
run xvier xvier.cmg" work on my system.

>  * I don't understand why "klik prompt", "klik shell" and "klik jail" are
>    marked as "TODO: remove" in the "--help" output. Has that been discussed
>    on the list or in IRC ?

Everything comes from this issue:
http://code.google.com/p/klikclient/issues/detail?id=224&can=4
But it's true that I've not specifically made any RFC about that
specific feature (and that's why I didn't implemented it yet) and that
it should go in the mailing list (I think there's an old sketch of the
idea on the mailing list but I don't remember when)

Sorry about the borkenage, will fix it as soon as I get some time and
the idea is better discussed.

Over and out