List:       klik-devel
Subject:    [klik-devel]  klik-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 1
From:       "Thomas Leonard" <talex5 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-26 16:29:21

On 5/24/07, Lionel Tricon (perso) <lionel.tricon@free.fr> wrote:
> Thomas Leonard a écrit :
> > Sounds good... but can we separate this from the installation system?
> >
> Not sure i understand what you mean by "separate this from the
> installation system".

I wasn't very clear. I mean that redirecting filesystem access so that
when  a program tries to read "/usr/share/foo" the data is actually
read from somewhere else is really internal to the application.

I should be able to install a program that needs this using apt-get,
Zero Install, Klik, etc.

> And remember that in the klik model, 1 app == 1 file. A cmg package
> cannot depends of an another cmg package. Each one run in its own
> namespace.

In both Klik and Zero Install, the recipes/feeds that are downloaded
contain dependency information, and both systems download the program
and each dependency.

The default Zero Install client (0launch) stores them in one directory
per library, whereas other clients (e.g. Zero2Bundle) put them all
together in a single directory so the whole program can be moved to a
non-networked computer and run from there (like Klik).

In any case, you'll have Klik images that depend on the Klik software.
That could be implicit (users have to know to install Klik before they
can run an image file) or explicit (the system downloads Klik
automatically as needed, e.g. using Zero Install) or you can bundle
the Klik software in every image you create.

> > > With all of that, you do not need to relocate the application al all.
> > Again, that sounds useful, but possibly for other programs too (e.g.
> > programs installed using apt-get). Will you be supporting multiple
> > 'profiles' per program? e.g.
> >
> When you run fuseiso or fusecram, you can redirect the modification into
> a directory. It works for the application located into the cmg file as
> well for all applications available on disk (there are no difference
> between both, you run what you want, real application or virtualized
> application ; you can fuse mount an empty cmg file and launch a real
> application without any troubles).

This is the bit I'm confused about. You said that 1 program == 1 file,
but here we have 0 programs == 1 file. Does the cmg contain:

- data files, but no programs,
- one program, plus data from one or more programs, or
- multiple programs and their data?

--
Dr Thomas Leonard               http://rox.sourceforge.net