List:       klik-devel
Subject:    Re: [klik-devel] klik-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 1
From:       Thomas Leonard <talex5 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-23 18:31:50

lionel.tricon at free.fr wrote:
> Selon Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com>:
>> More random thoughts... should we approach the guy(s?) who wrote zero
>> install about merging the 2 techniques... really what we are doing is
>> creating zero install into a single file and making it executable... the
>> projects seem (to me any way) very similar at this point.
>
> I never used zeroinstall but in my understanding the software need to be modify
> to support 0install

Software such as Firefox, Blender, Inkscape etc doesn't need to be
modified. Programs which uses hard-coded paths do (there's no
"intellipatch" step like with Klik).

> and it seems that it needs a kernel module (lazyfs) ?

lazyfs hasn't been used since 2005. No kernel patching (or even root
access) is needed.

> Except the xml file description which seems interresting to reuse, it's not
> obvious for me that that kind of software brings something new to the klik
> model.

There's a list of differences on the site:

  http://0install.net/links.html

> If someone can explain me how it works, it would be great because the website is
> not very clear ...

Well, it works a lot like Klik really ;-) Probably easiest just to try
it though. If you're on Ubuntu (feisty), type:

  $ sudo apt-get install zeroinstall-injector

(or use 'yum' on Fedora, etc. If your distro doesn't include it yet,
packages are at http://0install.net/injector.html)

Then run something, e.g.:

  $ 0launch http://rox.sourceforge.net/2005/interfaces/ROX-Filer

--