List:       klik-devel
Subject:    Re: [klik-devel] Option to redirect write to $HOME to another place
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-02-07 16:01:30

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 15:32, Lionel Tricon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have added today a new option to my patched version of fuseiso. If you
> use"-b" option, you redirect all write to the HOME of the user into an
> another place ("-b /tmp/test" for example)
>
> More precisely, fuseiso merge files from the iso image, the real root
> directory and the /tmp/test directory. Il you add a new file into your HOME
> (from your klik application), it will be written into the /tmp/test
> directory. If you modify a file located into your real HOME, fuseiso
> duplicate the file into /tmp/test and all modifications will be applied into
> this directory.
>
> Hope that behaviour is what you need.
>
> With this new feature, we can guaranty that running a cmg file will not modify
> the host since all modifications are reported into an another place (only for
> HOME directory, i consider that /tmp is open for everyone).
>
> For the moment it works well in command line, X app and with Gnome app
> (bluefish). The very boring thing is that kfiledialog did'nt care about and
> display the real filesystem and not the one from fuseiso (tested with
> kdissert). I guess that kfiledialog read data from kfile which is running
> outside kdissert. If someone have an idea to correct this ???

Hmmm... I remember having run into a similar issue. klik-ified KDE
apps didn't display their own help documents, but the ones from the
system (or none at all, if none was there), because kio_help also
didn't use the environment provided by the .cmg. (At the time I
did some custom builds of kdeedu and koffice apps to help with pre-
release testing and troubleshooting).

I vaguely remember having experimented with the KDE env variable
KDE_FORK_SLAVES inside the wrapper script; but at the time, it
didn't solve the problem for the kio_help slave (though theoreti-
cally it should have...).

See also:
http://developernew.kde.org/SysAdmin/Environment_Variables#KDE_FORK_SLAVES

> To ease the development of cmg image, i have slighlty modified the fakechroot
> utility. All directories or files you want to access directly have to be put
> into an environment variable : export
> FAKECHROOT_EXCLUDE_PATHS=/tmp:/proc:/dev (useful for special devices, socket,
> etc ...).
>
> Lionel

Cheers,
Kurt