List:       kjsembed
Subject:    [kjsembed] kjsembed with non-QObject classes
From:       Andreas Zehender <zehender () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-04 9:17:55

Hi,

I toy with the idea to add scripting ability to KPovModeler for a long time now.  \
Triggered by the latest discussion on kde-core-devel about scripting languages in kde \
and a new student that wants to implement animations in KPovModeler I searched for \
solutions for application scripting and found two: QSA and kjsembed

I have a main problem with QSA and perhaps kjsembed: No single class that should be \
scriptable is a QObject and I have many properties in KPovModeler that do not fit \
into a QVariant (at least not in Qt3), which I believe is a problem. For example \
povray uses other color objects than qt, or many properties are 2D, 3D or ND vectors.

Because of the QVariant limitation of Qt3, there is a separate PMVariant and a self \
made property system in KPovModeler that works and is used by a rule system to \
determine which object can be inserted at what point in the scene. There is also a \
child/parent structure of povray objects, similar to the QObject child/parent \
structure.

So my thought was (without looking at the kjsembed code) to "just" use the \
parser/interpreter part of kjsembed and adapt that to my own object structure, \
property system and add support for vectors, vector math, povray colors etc. I don't \
need signals/slots, and I don't need access to application objects, only the \
graphical povray objects should be scriptable, which are no QObjects as I wrote \
above.

Would that be possible with kjsembed? Are there already class interfaces to adapt to \
another property/object system or is kjsembed limited to QObjects like QSA? Or can \
the bindings be overwritten?

Maybe you can point me to the files where the parser/interpreter part is located and \
where the binding to classes and properties is made. Is there documentation available \
how to add bindings to other classes?

Regards,
Andreas