List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    How can I catch Konq's thumbnail requests in my KIO slave?
From:       Ilya Konstantinov <kde-devel () future ! galanet ! net>
Date:       2001-08-25 18:16:04

Hi,

I'm currently fixing the Kamera KIO module. A part of it's
functionality is to provide thumbnails if the camera provides
them (thus reducing transfer time, especially on slow serial links).

Previously, the Kamera KIO module had a hack to serve a thumbnail
instead of .pics/(small|medium|large)/image.jpg.
This worked well, since Konqueror used to store it's thumbnails in a
.pics subdirectory of the same directory. This is no longer the case
(thumbnails are stored locally in the "thumbnails" resource).

libkonq still seems to have code to support .xvpics/ thumbnail
directories, but it doesn't seem to be activated, so a similar hack is
no longer possible.

My question is - is there any way to detect a thumbnail request from
inside a KIO slave? If not, could someone extend kio_thumbnail to
provide some hinting metadata in it's own requests?
(kio_thumbnail's image thumbnail creator seems to use QImage.load() --
so it's a mystery to me how it turns into a KIO request at all).