List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    w3c plug-in standard etc.
From:       Antti Koivisto <koivisto () iki ! fi>
Date:       2001-08-21 2:10:34

Hi Bert,

I'm sending this to the relevant kde mailing lists for discussion.

On Friday 17 August 2001 21:11, Bert Bos wrote:
> Btw., could the fullscreen mode use the 'projection' style sheets,
> like Opera does? (Or has that been fixed in 2.2?)
>
>     <link rel=stylesheet media=projection href=... >
> or
>     @media projection {
>     }

No, it's not supported in 2.2. It should not be hard to do though.

> I was at Opera this week, and talked (a little) about differences
> between Konqueror and Opera from a user's point of view, and about some
> ideas for improvements in browsers in general:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/Talks/2001/0815-Various-Oslo/all.htm

There are several interesting ideas there. Besides the CSS features (link
styling makes very much sense),  for example the "fish search" (depth search)
and relogin features sound nice and implementable. Thanks for you
comments about Konqueror.

> The meeting where I was, btw., was organized by the W3C Hypertext
> Coordination Group, to brainstorm about a possible W3C working group
> to define a plug-in API, a sort of successor to the old Netscape
> Plug-in API, but one that knows about style sheets and probably about
> XML and the DOM as well.
>
> I guess the KDE people would have something to say to that as well.
> The KParts architecture is rather tied to C++ and doesn't seem to
> handle embedded objects, like the SVG in this fragment

>       <svg:svg ...>...</svg:svg>
>
> (although the parent application may be able to fake it by writing a
> temporary file, but it would mean parsing the embedded part twice).
> But I think KDE should be represented when we do indeed start an
> effort to define a plug-in API.

The idea of W3C mandated plugin API sounds very appealing.  Ability to share
embeddable renderers for various formats between projects and platforms would
help tremendously. Agreeing about it might not be easy, though.  :)  We were
just starting to think about supporting renderers for multiple namespaces
(for svg) within one document and are not really sure how to go on with that.

It's also my understanding (and kparts people better comment) that KParts is
not really directly relevant for this discussion, as it is somewhat tied to
the KDE platform.

I can't speak for others but at least I would be happy to see such an
activity starting and KDE contributing to it.

   antti